Segmenting the Data Now that we had the right data, it was time to dive a bit deeper. Since we were looking for ways to reduce their cost-per-lead, we started by looking at how their campaigns were performing in different market segments, starting with their performance across different devices and their Search Terms report. DEVICE SEGMENTATION Segmenting your data by device is an easy, often under-utilized way to get insights into your target audience. For example, when we took a look at this client’s account, here’s what we saw: device segments To this client’s surprise, while the majority of their impressions came from desktop computers, most of their clicks and conversions came from mobile.
However, their mobile experience actually whatsapp database wasn’t all that great. Given this data, there were two clear takeaways: 1) their ads performed better on mobile despite their site’s poor mobile experience and 2) the core problem with their ads didn’t lie in their device performance. If most of their clicks and conversions had been on desktop, we could have decreased our bids for users on mobile devices. However, the opposite was true, which meant the client probably needed to put more money into mobile (and their mobile experience).
SEARCH TERMS REPORT Once we knew the problem didn’t lie in their device targeting, it was time to check out the Search Terms report. The Search Terms report is one of our go-to places in our audits. It’s a great place to find answers because it tells you exactly what search queries you’re spending your money on. Because the Search Terms report shows data on every search term that triggered your ads, it can be a bit intimidating to use. So, to make things simpler, we like to use filters. To see what percentage of your ad spend is actually going towards search terms that produce conversions, all you have to do is create.